Webpage!

A Division of www.kateandjoseph.com -- --- ---- Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/kateandjoseph -- --- ---- Like our Facebook Page www.facebook.com/kateandjoseph



Twitter

Paris 2010 - Day 5 - 28 November 2010




We were dragging our feet a bit today b/c neither of us really wanted to leave this beautiful city or our families behind.  Made our connections on the train and got to the airport in plenty of time with just a few annoyances.  Aer Lingus outsources their check-in here to another company.  We checked in online, but had no place to print our boarding passes.  As a result, we had to go to the counter, where they were weighing everyone’s carry-ons and making people check bags over 10kg.  Mine just made it under at 9.something, but Joe’s was around 12.  Despite my attempts to tell the woman that we carried on these exact same bags coming here, Joe had to check his anyway. 


For some reason, I decided not to take out my quart sized liquid bag at security since I didn’t have any issues with it in my suitcase in Boston or Dublin.  Big mistake…my entire bag was searched and swabbed, and I got a very thorough pat down because my Cape Cod bracelet set off the metal detector.  Why is it that it goes off at some airports but not others?  We were still at the gate in plenty of time only to learn that our flight was delayed one hour due to snow and ice in Dublin overnight. 

Our flight to Dublin was smooth minus a very fast landing, and when we arrived, there was definitely snow on the ground below.  Not too much, but enough to cause delays and icing with the -5 degree Celsius temperatures.  You know you’ve been to the Dublin airport too many times this year when you know exactly where everything is and how everything works…well almost.  We knew enough to check into our flight online ahead of time to guarantee seats together, to drink our water before going back through security this time, we found a place to get our tickets printed, and we knew exactly where the US Customs area and crowded terminal would be.  In fact, we even knew that although our ticket said boarding was at 12:45 for a 2:00 flight, we wouldn’t actually board ‘til much later.  I also remembered how delicious the chicken salad sandwich at the gate would be if only they had had one.  The one thing I forgot…my silly Cape Cod bracelet goes off here!  Yet again, I got the pat down. 

Our flight was a little late leaving the gate because our wings had to be de-iced.  We just so happened to have window seats so we could watch the whole process unfold.  Still not exactly sure what they spray on the wings, but it seemed to work.  Our flight was primarily smooth with just a few minor bumps.  Got dinner and a scone on the flight home and we were happy again with Aer Lingus’ service.  Finally got to see Letters to Juliet on the way home, too.  Even though we took off late, we still managed to get to Boston on time by 4pm.  My theory is that since Aer Lingus only flies long haul flights out of Boston, New York, Chicago and Orlando, they really have the transatlantic routes down.  Regardless, we caught the Silver Line to Quincy and were home by 5:30pm. 

I think I’m still in denial that it will be at least six months before we return to Europe again.  I know this sounds ridiculous because most people are lucky if they get to go once every few years never mind five times in two years. However, I’ve really come to love the thrill of learning about European history, sampling local cuisine, and getting acquainted with and practicing the European languages.  To me, this is my study abroad time….just a bit delayed.  That being said, you know what I’m already thinking about?  April vacation and summer in Europe.  Anyone want to join me?  I assure you that you won’t regret it!  Until next time, au revoir!            

No comments:

Post a Comment